How do I apply to a UK Institution of Higher Education?

Applications to the vast majority of UK Institutions of Higher Education are made through a computerized national system, known as Universities and Colleges Admission Service (

In some cases and for certain courses applications may be submitted directly to the respective institutions (i.e. Foundation in Art and Design, Architectural Association School etc.)

In other cases, there may also be specific forms to be filled and sent to the specific universities (i.e. the SAQ for Cambridge).

How many Universities and courses can I apply to in the UK?

A UCAS form allows you a choice of five universities and courses.

Four choices are allowed for medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine. In this case, a fifth choice is allowed in a field other than medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine.

When do I apply?

UCAS forms should be ideally submitted before 15th December of the preceding year, except for Oxford, Cambridge, Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science, where you must apply before 15th October of the year preceding your year of proposed entry.

Can I apply to both Cambridge and Oxford in the same academic year?

No, as an undergraduate you cannot apply to both these institutions in the same academic year.

What does a UCAS application contain?

Other than your personal details and University course choices, a UCAS application contains your achieved or predicted grades, the school recommendation letter and your personal statement.

A personal statement should include your reasons for choosing a particular course, the suitability of your education and experience for the chosen course, your personal interests and career goals.

Are there admission tests I must take in order to be eligible for consideration?

Yes. Depending on your course and institution, there may also be compulsory admission tests you must take either prior to applying or after you have applied in order for your application to be complete.

Are there any specific English language requirements?

Yes. If applying with Greek Curriculum credentials, Universities typically require proof of English competency, typically in the form of a specific IELTS band grade or a TOEFL grade.

Students who are presenting credentials meet the English language requirements for nearly all UK Universities. 

As a student at a UK Institution of Higher Education, am I guaranteed University accommodation?

Yes, provided you apply for accommodation in a timely manner. The vast majority of UK institutions guarantee accommodation (at a fee). For any subsequent years, students often opt to live in shared private accommodation.

What are the tuition fees for attending a UK Institution of Higher Education?

In England, as an EU student, the maximum a University can charge for tuition is £9,000 for 2013-2014.

In Wales the maximum a University can charge for tuition is £9,000 for 2013-2014. However, as an EU student you would be expect to pay no more than  £3,575 for 2013-2014, as the difference is paid for by the Welsh government in the form of a bursary.

Finally, in Northern Ireland the maximum tuition fee you can be charged in the academic year 2013-2014 is £3,575.

For all the above cases you can take out a tuition fee loan that can cover the maximum of the tuition fees.

There are no tuition fees in Scotland for EU students.

Where can I find out more about the terms of taking out a Tuition Fee Loan for studies in the UK?

For England and Wales:

For Scotland:

For Northern Ireland: